Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Honeymoon Adventure Number 7: Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico was the port that I was looking forward to the most and it didn't disappoint! We got there early in the morning and I was sooo excited to get off the boat. This was our only spanish speaking stop and was full of culture, beaches, city and rainforest. 



We started the day by taking a tour of the city. San Juan was so beautiful with old buildings maintained perfectly, and lots of lush greenery on every block. 




Who needs concrete barriers, palm trees in pots does the same thing and looks much prettier!

Government Building

The old fort 

After seeing San Juan, we then headed out towards el Yunque, the largest rainforest in Puerto Rico and home of the Coqui frogs. 






The trees on the left were my favourite! Are they palms? Are they Ferns? I now call them Palm Ferns. 

Paul taking a picture of a Tree

The Tree Paul took a picture of: the colours in the bark were amazing...no photoshop here! 

We went to this tower in the middle of the Rainforest


This might be one of my favourite pictures of the whole trip...way down on the left you can see the ocean! 

At the top of the tower. 

Theses trees were amazing, we need to plant some in Canada. The leaves look very similar to maple leaves, but they can tell the difference in humidity levels. They actually use them to be able to tell when it is about to rain! When it's going to rain the bottem-side of the leaves turn silver/white and then when the rain is over they turn back to green!


After Leaving the tower our driver dropped us off to do a hike in the jungle!

I believe we did La Coca Trail. 


Stick Bug! Ironically the only wildlife we saw in El Yunque




The next stop was to Coca Falls. 






After the waterfalls, we returned to San Juan, where we meandered through old town and the old fort Castillo San Cristobal. 














This was the new part of the Fort that the US military used during World War II


Apparently people were shorter back then...



Old Town

Our very last stop in Puerto Rico was to try some of the local food. 
We were told Mofongo was a must! 


Looking back its pretty crazy to think we did all of that in a short 6 hour time frame! 







2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I really enjoyed it.
    PR is a very beautiful and unique place.

    Ed L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings,
    My name is Denyssa David. I am from Trinidad in the Caribbean and I'm the Lead Creative Dreamer and Doer of a social enterprise which offers creative experiences for adults and children. I am hosting an event next week at which I will be serving pound plantain or plantain mash and I stumbled on your picture of mofongo con pollo.

    I was contacted by a reporter of one of the daily newspaper yesterday because they want to do an article on the event. I need pictures urgently and I am kindly requesting use of this image. All acknowledgement will be given and I will send a copy of the article when it has been published. I hope that my request is reasonable.

    Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration.

    ReplyDelete